Monday, May 28, 2007

Its beautiful

The rays streamed in through the white drapes
Bouncing off her streaming, long, dark tresses,
Impressing into my eyes, the peacefully sleeping image,
Of my beautiful wife.

This day, a year ago,
She glided into my life.
I can never forget the day I first saw her
Because that was when I was struck –
By Cupid’s Arrow

I remember it as if it were yesterday –
She walked into the coffee shop
A white kurta with beautiful blue embroidery
Fitting jeans giving her those long legs
Her flowing hair, tied carelessly into a loose plait
Dangling behind her
Tiny blue drops hanging off her ears
And a cute, tiny platinum ring
Sitting proudly atop her left ear
Rimless glasses hardly balancing themselves
On her very flat nose -
On her face – her eager, smiling eyes
Her good natured wide smile revealing
Refreshingly half-white teeth
Her slightly chubby cheeks
That coloured slightly
As her eyes sought and caught
Those of the man her parents
Had said she would share her life with -
If she said, Yes…

Mine. I fervently found myself praying.
Mine.

And today, I realized
A year had flown by since then…
And even as she was soundly sleeping,
I found myself looking at her image
That moved to the white drapes
And drew them apart
Her hands outstretched,
Breathing in the fresh morning air
And enjoying the view of a clump of trees amid the tall buildings

Her hands lovingly running through my hair
Reminding me that it was time to get up

Her hair tied into a knot that rested on her neck
As she swayed slightly to the song emanating from
The tiny studs embedded into her ears

The smell of tea leaves and boiling milk
Finally rousing me enough to brush madly
Lest I miss my morning kiss

Even as I wrestled to cut up
Those beans into tiny, perfect cubes
I couldn’t stop looking at her
In her tracks and tee
Fervently turning the newspaper

And her occasional glances
That never failed to flood me with the same longing…
To see if I was done yet
And it was her turn…

She shifted ever so slightly
Graceful even in deep sleep, I thought
And I was shaken out of my reverie
She would be up soon …
She lifted her hands up to her face
Her knuckles trying to rouse her

And as she opened her eyes
Blinking away the suddenly dazzling light,
Her eyes caught mine
She smiled and held my hand to her soft face
Snuggling in the comfort

And then she suddenly looked up
Her eyes wild with surprise and anticipation
As she awoke to the fact
That today was the day.

She sat up and gazed into my eyes
And I sat there, doing the same
Quite unable to do anything else…
And then when she made to envelope me
In an endearing hug,
I raised my hand
Between us

She threw me a look of shock and surprise
As my fingers glazed over her brows
I brought out a brightly wrapped package
And after extracting her promise,
Removed my other hand from her eyes and brought out
The rose that I’d kept beneath our bed

She opened her eyes
And I gave her the rose
Suddenly she was really shy
To look up into my eyes
And my heart began thudding against my ribcage
Lest they succeed in breaking open,
I took her hand and placed in them the package
She now raised her suddenly huge eyes at me
And with a grin, started to rip open the package
She opened it.

And even before I caught the
12 colours reflecting from my package in her eyes,
A tear splattered onto my hand
I looked up to see her
Astonished that she was crying
But she took my hand
And I guided each of those 12 rings
Over her soft hands

And as they tinkled she looked up and said
‘I love you’
The first time she’s ever said that
‘Done in by a dozen of bangles?’
I asked rather surprised,
But nevertheless giving her an *all-knowing* smile
She smiled coyly and put her arms around my neck
‘I haven’t brushed yet…’
But I wasn’t listening anymore…
I'm so excited to tell ya'll that this poem is selected for publication in a book titled - “Romance Vol. 1” - published by renaissance.sg :-)

1 comment:

Aarthi Sridharan said...

simple yet perfect... yes its beautiul ... i mean the poem ! :)

aarthi